To apply for naturalization, you will need to file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Be sure that you meet all eligibility requirements before you apply. Certain exceptions and modifications are available to those who qualify. Below you will find a general description of the application process. Items such as a naturalization eligibility worksheet and document checklist are available to help you prepare.
General Steps in the Process
- Determine if you are eligible to apply for citizenship.
- Download Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
- Complete your application.
- Have two passport-style photographs taken.
- Collect the necessary documents.
- Send your application package and filing fee to the appropriate Lockbox Facility or Service Center.
- Receive an appointment letter for biometric services from USCIS.
- Visit a USCIS fingerprinting location and have fingerprints taken.
- Receive an appointment for an interview with a USCIS Officer.
- Go to your local USCIS office at the specified time.
- Bring state-issued identification, Permanent Resident Card, and any additional documents specific to your case.
- Answer questions about your application and background.
- Take the English and civics tests.
- Await a decision on your case.