Adjustment of Status

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual's immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is “adjustment of status.”
The INA provides an individual two primary paths to permanent resident status. Adjustment of status is the process by which an eligible individual already in the United States can get permanent resident status (a green card) without having to return to their home country to complete visa processing.  Consular processing is an alternate process for an individual outside the United States (or who is in the United States but is ineligible to adjust status) to obtain a visa abroad and enter the United States as a permanent resident) This pathway is referred to as “consular processing”

Back to home page »


[membership_download style=”1″][/membership_download]

Please answer each question fully in the above questionnaires.  When dates are requested, please provide the Month, Day  and Year.  We are asking these questions because they are required information for your forms.

Tax Returns from the IRS

It is best to use your tax returns with all supporting documents.  If you do not have these your can normally get them  from the company who prepared your returns.  If you need to order your tax transcripts from the IRS please click here.

[membership_download style=”1″][/membership_download]

Criminal Issues

If you have ever been arrested, we will need certified copies of court and police records for each incident.  If you do not remember where, when or if you were arrested we will need to complete an FBI background check.  For more information please click this link.

Translations  & Original Documents

For more information on what documents need to be translated and what original documents need to be sent to USCIS, please click here.