Fiancé(e) and Spousal Visas
The United States offers visas (and green cards) to fiancés and spouses so that they can enter, live in, work in, and reenter the United States.
• A green card means that your loved one is a permanent resident and can stay in the United States forever and reenter the U.S. after going home for a visit.
• A green card also allows your love to work in the United States.
• He or she doesn’t have to apply for U.S. citizenship, but the opportunity is available for green cardholders.
How to Get a Fiancé Visa (K-1 Visa)
File the application for the K-1 visa (I-129F – Petition for Alien Fiancé) and show that:
• You are a United States citizen.
• You can support your fiancé.
• You and your fiancé are not married to anyone else.
• Your fiancé has not violated any immigration or criminal laws.
• You have visited with your fiancé in person during the last 2 years.
• You intend to get married within 90 days of your fiancé entering the United States.
If approved the K-1 visa (Fiancé Visa) application is approved, your fiancé will be permitted to enter the United States for a period of 90 days.
• During those 90 days, you must get married.
• Your spouse must file for lawful permanent residency (i.e. green card) during that time period.
How to Get a Spousal Visa (Immediate Family Visa – IR1 Visa or CR1 Visa)
The IR1 visa is available for a foreign national married to a U.S. citizen for more than 2 years. The CR1 visa is appropriate if the marriage is less than 2 years. (It’s temporary.)
• File the immigrant Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130).
• Provide proof of marriage.
• If approved, your spouse will be permitted to enter the United States.
• Your spouse then files for lawful permanent residency (i.e. green card).
Where to Get Legal Help Bringing Your Love to America
Immigration is a very specialized area of law; so, be sure your attorney focuses his practice on immigration and protecting your legal rights. We focus our practice on immigration law and you can reach us at 513-791-1673 or Thomasjr@geygan.com. We’d be honored to help bring your love to the United States. Call now.