The B Visas: Business or Pleasure?

The B Visas:  Business or Pleasure?

The B visa is for foreign nationals who wish to visit, but not live or work, in the Unites States.  In other words, the B visa is for a temporary visit.  There are two subcategories:  B1 for business and B2 for pleasure (or medical treatment.)  However, if you live in one of the 27 countries which participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you do not need a B visa to visit the U.S.

Examples of B visas

B1 visa

Settle an estate in Columbus

Attend a business meeting in Tucson

Negotiate a contract in Charleston

Attend a professional conference in New Orleans

B2 visa

Visit family in New York City or Chicago

Visit the Grand Canyon or Statue of Liberty

Receive medical care in Pittsburgh

Intent to immigrate presumed; You must prove otherwise

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, you are presumed to have immigrant intent.  You must show the following to qualify for a B visa:

Your planned stay in the U.S. is temporary.  You don’t want to live, work, or stay in  the U.S.;

You have sufficient funds to pay all of your travel  bills; and,

You have strong social and economic ties to your foreign  residence and do not intend to abandon it.

Once admitted, how long can I visit in the U.S.?

A B visa allows you to travel to the port-of-entry (POE) of the United States.  If permitted to enter, you will be assigned an authorized stay which is indicated on your I-94 card by the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.

What if I want to stay longer?

If you’d like to stay in the U.S. longer than indicated on your I-94 card, you may file Form I-539 with the USCIS.  You must make this filing before your
authorized stay expires. You can remain in the U.S. until a decision is made on your I-539 application (or up to 240 days if your application is not processed
before then.)

Where to get help with your B visa and other immigration issues

If you have questions about B visas, you are not alone.  At Geygan and Geygan, Ltd., focus our practice on immigration matters and we help people just like you every day.  We understand the both the legal system and immigration law issues.  We will gently walk you through your personal immigration issues, represent you in your immigration interview, and aggressively fight for your legal rights. You can reach us at 513-793-6555 or